"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Philippians 4:8







Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Crocheting Green!



I bought a few things at my local Ralphs store the other day. To my amazement, I was charged for the bags my groceries were in! I usually purchase my produce at Trader Joe's; who by the way have not yet charged me for bags.
I have always saved my plastic grocery bags for lining my wastepaper baskets, but I have found a new use for them: Years ago I made a large purse out of plastic bags, I used it for bringing groceries home in. I got so many complements on it, that I started using it as a summer beach bag. Recently, I wondered if I could remember how to make another one; here is the product of my efforts:
 I just cut up plastic bags in strips and then I tied the strips together,
 rolled the tied strips into a ball like yarn, and started crocheting.
 I used 17 bags to make this purse. The dark stripe is Albertsons, the lighter is from Ralphs, and the red flower is the part of the bag that says, "Ralphs".
I used a large red button from my button box, a large snap behind the button to open and close the purse, and some scrap yarn for the embroidered stem and leaf. I cut up an old curtain to line the purse and there was enough fabric left to make a glasses case; which is sitting at the bottom of my purse.
Hey Ralphs! You have nothing on this girl, I can make all my own shopping bags from your own plastic bags :)

In case you are interested in making your very own grocery bag purse, here is a pattern I found on-line to give you inspiration!
I made this purse (above) without a pattern.   
Years ago, when I made my first plastic purse; I didn't even own a computer, so this will be easy for you, good luck!
Enjoy!

Materials Needed: numerous white, blue and yellow plastic grocery bags, M hook
Finished Size: 15 inches high x 16 inches wide not including the straps
 Note: Do not use hook that you don't want to break or be stained. I have noticed that my hook has numerous stains of dye on it from the bags, also this is hard on the hook so you don't want to use your good Brittany hooks while crocheting with plastic bags :-)
Directions:
with white bags
ch 28
Round 1 - hdc in 2nd ch from hook and in each remaining ch, working around the backside of the ch hdc in each st, join with a sl st to 1st hdc (54 total)
Round 2-5  - ch 1, hdc in each st around, join with a sl st to 1st hdc  at the end of round 5 change to yellow bags, do not cut white bags
Round 6-7  ch 1, with yellow bags, hdc in each st around, join with a sl st to 1st hdc,  cut yellow bags, at end of round 7 pick up the dropped white bags
Round 8-10 - ch 1, with white, hdc in each st around, join with a sl st to 1st hdc, at end of round 10 change to blue bags, do not cut white bags
Round 11- 13 - ch 1, with blue bags, hdc in each st around, join with a sl st to 1st hdc, cut blue bags, at end of round 13, pick up the dropped white bags
Round 14-20 - ch 1, with white, dc in each st around, join with a sl st to 1st hdc, at end of round 20 change to yellow bags, do not cut white bags
Round 21 - ch 1, with yellow, hdc in each st around, join with a sl st to 1st hdc, cut yellow bags, at end of round 21 change to white bags
Round 22- ch 1, with white hdc in next 7 sts, ch 24, sk 8 sts, hdc in the next 19 sts, ch 24, sk 8 sts, hdc in next 12, join with a sl st to 1st hdc
Round 23 - ch 1, sc in next 6sts, work 28 sc around the next ch 24 sp on last round, sc in next 19 sts, work 28 scs around the next ch 24 sp on last round, sc in next 13 sps, join with a sl st in beg sc (94 total)
Round 24 - ch 1, sc in each st around  (94 total)



Happy Crocheting!
Robin

1 comment:

  1. What a clever idea! I'd love to try this, but I'll need some more practice first. Thanks for the idea though!

    ReplyDelete