"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Philippians 4:8







Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Thursday, July 26, 2012

I'm Back . . .

Well, I have not posted since last December! I have been extremely busy with Parties, Weddings, Graduations and Funerals; not to mention my art and my sewing AND especially; my darling grandson, Robbie! I am also working on replacing much woodwork around my old house. It has been sweltering hot here in California. I find myself working in my backyard late into the evening when it is finally a little cooler.
I wanted a swing to have when my little grandson visits, however, a new one like this was well over $250.00. I found this one while just driving down a street. It had my name on it. I got it for $60.00. I washed it, tightened up some loose screws and it is wonderful.
The canopy with new cushions sides and bottom/ brand new would have been $320.00.
While visiting a Thrift store one day, I found a bin full of fabric. I wasn't being picky because purchasing such a large amount of fabric at a thrift store is a rare blue-moon!
I found this salmon colored cotton all rolled up and taped shut; for $7.00!!!!!!!!!!!! There was 8 yards. I purchased it, hurried home and made my two pillows along with the canopy that evening!
I had a problem with the wind blowing the canopy around, so I made a straight curtain casing in the back and I put an old rod which I found in my garage, through the back which weighted down the canopy. I also made 2 small sand bags for the front to balance the front from wobbling around.
For the pattern; I  just laid the fabric over the swing top and I used a dinner plate to draw the scallops. I folded the front part of the canopy over about 10" to make it look like lining so the scallops had no raw edges. I had a little bit of fabric left over, so I made some bows to place on the scallops.
Oh! How I love yard sales!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




 During the summer months, I like to make cool dishes like, cold Pasta salads, cool grape salad, potato salad, or just slice up some vegetables with dip. I have found a wonderful secret for keeping food cool. I came across a platter at my mother's house after she died. I only took it because it belonged to her. I actually thought it was ugly; not sleek like pottery. The good aspect of these dishes is they weigh so little and they blend with any color of other table wear.
The back of most of these pieces says: "Wrought Farberware" Brooklyn New York. One piece says: "The Crown, Pure Aluminum" with the picture of a beautiful crown embedded on it. Still, another one says "Farber & Shlevin Inc." Hand Wrought. They are serial numbered pieces. They look like they have been pounded. I have seen imitations of these at many stores, but they are much heavier and shiny. There are beautiful scrolls of roses on some, while others have Lillies, Primroses, Pine Cones, or Daisies, etc...
The handles on two of my platters are like vines/ so cool! It looks like the aluminum was stretched, pounded and twisted like Taffy.
I have never spent more than $10.00 a piece. I don't hunt them they find me by chance at yard sales or thrift stores. I really like these!
                                                    My Wild Mural

A dear friend of mine took me to old Town Dana Point for lunch one afternoon. We ate at a quaint backyard of someone's home.The name of the restaurant is called; The Ramos House. The chef lives there. His backyard almost touches the train as it unloads passengers. As we were enjoying our lunch, the sun fell brightly in my eyes. The owner pulled down a piece of Burlap- like a make-shift curtain/shade. The simplicity touched me. I came home a few days later and off I went to purchase a piece of Burlap; only, I wanted to paint something pretty on mine. I used acrylic paints and I had a blast. Now, when the sun gets in my eyes at home, I use my painted outdoor shade. COST-$4.75.
If I find/make the time, I have lots more to share. I am working on a Rose Afghan for my guest room and I just finished a Quilt in my bedroom.
More tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment