"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Philippians 4:8







Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Kleenex Box Cover

I have made so many of these Tissue box covers.
I first saw one of these in my friend Rosemarie's guest room at her beautiful home in Georgia.
Hers was all white Battenburg lace; so stunning!
I thought perhaps I could crochet one!
I crocheted 2 doilies; placed them on top of each other, and I sewed a silk rose on top of the doilies.
Next, I got an old pillow slip and just placed it over the tissue box; tracing the two long sides, the two short sides, the top, and finally the bottom; leaving an inch extra on the 5 panels mentioned for sewing space,
Lastly, cut out the bottom panel allowing an extra 2 1/2 inches to sew in a casing for the elastic.
I then sewed the panels together.
I slit a good sized oblong ( allowing about 1 1/2 inch of space on margins) in the middle of the bottom panel and then made a casing around it for the elastic.
Remember to turn your work inside out before tacking the doilie on.
Also; I cut a slit in the middle of the doilie and the top panel, and I puff painted over the slit so as not to unravel it.
It would be easy if you use wide bias tape for the casing. I did not, I just made a casing from the bottom's hem; which made the bottom seem oblong after the elastic was put in.
This now enables me to refill old boxes into new, and also ; it allows me to launder the doilie cover.
These are not difficult to make and I believe they make beautiful room accents! 
Price: I only purchased the elastic which was under $2.00= makes 4 boxes. considering if you have the fabric/pillow case, a doilie and a silk flower!

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you!
    I could see one in your guest room perhaps crocheted to match your bed skirt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I changed my mind on the bed skirt. I think I will just sew a new one. There's a great fabric shop 5 minutes from my house...beautiful fabric for only $1.50 a yard! :)

    ReplyDelete