"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Philippians 4:8







Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Wednesday! Out to Lunch...


... I have a dear friend who's husband is recovering from Lymphatic cancer. Her father died almost two weeks ago. She became a Grandmother for the second time almost a year ago, and in-between our pre-Golden years; she has raised four children. One of them is a Doctor, and the other is a Teacher, the two others are hard working young adults. When I think of Liz, I hear her telling every young person she comes in contact with: "Get your education, it is like a diamond, and no one can ever take it away from you!" I laugh because she pushes Education to an extreme. My poor daughter just has a mom who went to Junior College. By the grace of God, my daughter valued and sought her education all on her own will. I have learned through the years that Liz values the places that education soars one to.
 I called  Liz and asked her what I could do to help her. She has three sisters who support each other beautifully, so I thought, or I felt a little awkward in trying to support her. I just pray for her behind the scenes. She asked me to meet her after work at a little Deli, so we could visit. I met her today for lunch and we sat and talked for three hours! What I learned was: despite all of  life's trials, there is ALWAYS a bright ray of  joy and love; God is merciful! Liz lit up like a light bulb as she spoke about her two grandchildren.
The comfort her sisters bring to her seems to carry her through anything. Lastly, I learned that our friendship since the fifth grade, has had many facets, and that "going out to lunch" means, "I value you and your presence comforts me!"
On Tuesday, my daughter and I met her dear friend Summer, for lunch.
Summer is working at a near by college. She works in the office full time and she is a student there at night working on her teaching credential. She already graduated from Cordon Bleu as a Pastry chef.  Meanwhile, she has purchased a house and is very busy fixing it up! Oh the energy of youth!
On Monday, I ate lunch over the phone with a dear friend from Kansas. She had a Turkey sandwich and I had an egg. She has a very bad sinus infection. We discussed antibiotics and steroids, and Doctors. We have been praying together for thirty years;  two times a week. We laugh and we cry, and we plan, and we hope.
Tomorrow, I will be having lunch with my two fairy Godmothers. I usually see them once a week. I value them so much! I can't wait to see the menu, or hear about what they are up to, or even just to see how the table is set, they also dress with such style.  Because I am an artist, I think of everyone as a picture with a story that just has to be interpreted by me!
Next time I see a salon, a restaurant or anywhere that posts a sign saying, "OUT TO LUNCH" I must remember to respect what it means; out living, out tending, out nurturing someone or something.
On Friday, my daughter is taking me out to lunch to one of her favorite restaurants at the beach.
Besides my hips going way out to lunch, my heart is touched by the cherished conversations and the valuable lessons we all share while eating those lunches,
Just as Jesus is the living water, I believe eating together can be the living love of Christ!
Invite someone out to lunch and listen to them the way you would love to be listened to!
Happy, blessed, wonderful Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment